How to Check a Used Car Before Buying (Checking the Engine)

Learn how to inspect the engine of a used car so you don’t get stuck with a bad car. I show you how to check for head gasket leaks, check the fluids, see if the car was in a front end collision, and much more!

Wireless OBD2 Scanner I use:

Episode 1: The “Side of the Road Inspection”:

Episode 2: What is the car worth?:

Episode 4: Interior & Exterior Inspection:

Episode 5: Test Drive and Negotiation:

Link to the FREE downloadable ChrisFix Used Car Inspection Checklist:

Become a ChrisFix Subscriber→
Instagram→
Facebook→
Website →
My Channel Home Page →

**If the video was helpful, remember to give it a “thumbs up” and consider subscribing. New videos every Thursday**

Disclaimer:
Due to factors beyond the control of ChrisFix, I cannot guarantee against improper use or unauthorized modifications of this information. ChrisFix assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this video. Use this information at your own risk. ChrisFix recommends safe practices when working on vehicles and or with tools seen or implied in this video. Due to factors beyond the control of ChrisFix, no information contained in this video shall create any expressed or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. Any injury, damage, or loss that may result from improper use of these tools, equipment, or from the information contained in this video is the sole responsibility of the user and not ChrisFix.

1. yehuda cohen says

Here's a tip: stay away from Jaguars

2. Jonas Juarez says

I'm just looking for a beater car for work and to run from A to B (family stuff etc) is it ok to not worry too much about some of the things here? Wouldn't be spending more than $2300 or $2500… Looking at some 90s Camry's and Corollas as I hear they are the most reliable engines ever.

3. DRIVERS LQQK says

A rule of thumb was always how clean the trunk was kept usually at the trunk was kept clean the rest of car was kept in pretty good maintenance if the trunk is full of junk and dirt probably the car is junk in Dirt 2 just not always go by but it's a first sign when I see a junk trunk I just walked the other way.

4. Lomasbrutal says

After waste the seller time. Did this guy buy the car?

5. Zach M says

The van you showed burning oil was the exact navy blue van I pictured in my head…I don't understand how there are so many still on the road.

6. jani rk says

Excellent video content! Excuse me for butting in, I am interested in your opinion. Have you ever tried – Saankramer Vehicle Statement System (Have a quick look on google cant remember the place now)? It is a smashing one off guide for getting paid to drive without the hard work. Ive heard some great things about it and my cousin after many years got great success with it.

7. Fabian says

Lovely video content! Sorry for the intrusion, I am interested in your thoughts. Have you heard about – Saankramer Vehicle Statement System (Have a quick look on google cant remember the place now)? It is an awesome one of a kind guide for getting paid to drive minus the normal expense. Ive heard some super things about it and my work colleague finally got cool results with it.

8. Joe Troutt says

CHRIS: Why was the check engine light cleared?

SELLER: My mechanic did that when he changed the O2 sensor

CHRIS: Sounds good to me

SELLER: He believed that? SUCKER LOL

9. Roddy Rod says

chris got his fix that very day.

10. EABA EndAllBeAll says

Foam on the cap is not a sure sign of a head gasket leak. If the car sits a lot or only drives short distance than it will do that as well.

11. Dan R says

First Google the car for common problems. Some cars are great, some are unexpected. Ford Fiesta's and Focus' with the dual clutch automatics are on the never ever buy list.

12. Charles Beers says

That is a Ford Contour JAG

13. Zal says

I just subscribed, very nice calming voice, explanation and great tips. .. Thank you

14. Ben Hubinger says

Chris, at 8: 41 you mentioned worn out piston rings. Do you have a video on replacing piston rings? If not, can you make one? Thanks!

15. Ben says

Swiftly rushed outside to check for milkshake we good guys loool

16. hayley mckay says

That crossmember damage looked dodgy, seemed like shody repair work too, with rust as well! I would've walked away at that point.

17. Mohammed Yousuf says

I am a car dealer in Romford (UK) Super Bargain Cars Ltd and experienced first hand Honda goes forever regardless hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock and got bullet proof technology. But sadly most people go after shapes and not the reliability. If you want peace of mind then go for Honda. Then out of European brands go for Mercedes which got least amount of electronics problems but if you really want bmw and Audi make sure you get longer warranty to stay away from heavy bills. Any advise please send us email or call us from our website so would be happy to help. All the best!

18. Margi Williams says

Hey I know this video is old but to the seller be honest don't try to hide anything from the buyer

19. Concept Symetry Guitars says

This is a great video. Two things stood out as soon as Chris opened the bonnet. The car was running on minimum water level and it had the wrong battery which did not fit. The front end damage is much worse than it looks and will probably lead to a new radiator, oil cooler, AC condensor as well as replacing the plastic bumper. Unless you have the skills to put it right just walk away. Also, never buy a car from a parking lot or lay-by. There is a reason the owner does not want you know where they live.

20. SleeplessinOC says

Man I could have saved myself money and the subsequent expenses if I had been smarter about a used car I had bought (which I no longer have but that’s a long story ). I’m too embarrassed to tell anyone the story but I’m gonna definitely be more careful the next time.

21. X Y says

Do you have a car on sale?
    I need one 🙏🙏🙏pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez