EASY Pinewood Derby Car WINS using Science!!!

7 simple steps that ACTUALLY MATTER to building a winning pinewood derby car. I built a car in 45 minutes using these steps and crushed all the competition by more than 2 car lengths (proof is in the video 🙂 Special thanks to Steve at DerbyMonkey.com for providing his expertise and materials for the video.

CONSIDER SUBSCRIBING:

HERE’S HOW I MADE THE ROCKET CAR:

7 Key Steps:
1. Max weight ~1″ in front of rear axle
2. Reasonably aerodynamic
3. Ride on 3 wheels
4. Lightweight wheels
5. Bent polished axles
6. Railride/alignment
7. Lots o’ graphite

***HELPFUL LINKS***

Dr. Acton’s video:

Pre-polished, bent axles to purchase:

Also on derbydust.com which is where the photo came from

Lightweight wheel options to purchase:

More details on polishing the axles:

Axle bender tool:

More details on Rail Rider alignment:

Materials used in the video provided by www.derbymonkeygarage.com. It’s also the only place I could find the pre-polished bent polished axles. Link provided above.

***MY STUFF***

I make videos like this once a month all year long while supplies last:

CHECK OUT MY CHANNEL:

FACEBOOK ME:

***MUSIC***

All music created by Qwiet. You should go sub his channel:

Twitter:
Facebook:

1. Digimaniac X says

It’s funny that you got disqualified for your propulsion, that was required at my skill. All of ours had to have a CO2 cartridge which would be punctured to push the car along a flat track

2. Michael Baumann says

I have a trophy somewhere in the house from when I won a pinewood derby using just 2 of those techniques (weight placement, polished axles) – of course, the cars were quite a bit different – including the fact that the wheels were very narrow(greatly reduced rolling friction – the same thing you gained by canting the wheels) compared to today and the tracks were plywood . Oh, and so you know – that was 47 years ago (and I was 10) . Science is science 😀

3. John Smith says

Height is not energy…. it is still speed relative to gravity’s pull.

4. waitinroom says

that punch out shirt is awesome

5. Georgie Morrison says

1:52 I think u meant velocity,they are different things. Either that or my physics teacher got it wrong, which is very possible.

6. FlickerBean says

I don't understand why an inch in front of the rear Axel's… If it's only to prevent a wheelie why isn't directly over the rear Axel's best?

7. Will Yam says

I helped my son build the same shape car 23 decades ago. The only difference is we hollowed out underneath the car to accept the lead sheet. We narrowed the actual contact the tires had with the track, drilled and pressed in brass tubing to exactly fit the nail axles and used graphite as axle lubricant. We also painted and waxed the car for less wind resistance. Yes, it blew away the competition of over 100 other cars!

8. ·XxChilGamerxX · says

The first clip seems like something that would belong in Jimmy Neutron

9. Anne Wegner says

Boys keep it odd for likes girls keep it even

10. Ali murtaza says

14:24 that is the benefits of engineering the crap out of things nice 😁😁

11. Scotty The Leopard Gecko says

Or you could just…I dont know..buy the best pinewood derby car….

12. John Cooper says

This totally explains why I won the PW derby two years in a row(over 30 years ago). I had NO idea what I was doing, but stacked all my weight on the rear axle using quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies then taped them on top.

13. Leo Foenerro says

still not as good as randy marsh's pinewood derby car

14. Chris Purnell says

Me and my dad won the pine wood derby

15. Robert Pippin says

my 8th grade opponrnt defeated mine by loading his with lead into touted groves.

16. Andrew Splatter says

Well… I realize from where Ellon get inspired for cyber truck!

17. Captain Crunch says

Who's watching in 2020?
    Happy Newyear guy!

18. jonathan zeng says

nope

19. Dan C says

My dad would do the cuts and such but he wouldn't build it for me. I don't think I ever won a race but I had fun

20. Dee Stoaks says

Wouldn't be he "weight" in potential energy technically be force of gravity? I know that's classified as weight as well (being measured in newton's). I think it's a nice nod to the formula when on the other side he shows kinetic energys formula using MASS and not weight. It I say this because the formula for potential energy is mass*acceleration due to gravity (about 9.8m/s^2)*height. And due to both sides having mass you can actually cancel mass out by diving by mass on both sides and getting an equal equation (in a frictionless environment of course[that includes no air resistance either])

21. Brian Murray says

14:05 Supposable… Supposedly..

22. Scott Morgan says

When I was in 4th grade I made a car shaped like a foot and it was really slow but it looked funny but I got best in show

23. some guy says

Who ever has the most green blocks wins!! now let’s count them, can you count with me? Let’s see uno dos tres🤣🤣

24. CubeBizz says